Did you know that there is an entire month dedicated to dental health?
February is National Dental Health Month and Drs. Hanis & Proft believe that it is very important to stress good oral hygiene starting at an early age. The American Dental Association recommends that you take your child to see a dentist by their first birthday or when they get their first tooth. The health of our teeth reflect the health of our overall body as the bacteria in the mouth gets digested with our food. We hope that parents teach their kids to brush at least twice a day and floss once per day.
Although the Hanis and Proft Orthodontics team focuses on orthodontic treatment like braces and Invisalign, they know that it is ideal to have a beautiful AND healthy smile. Here are some fun facts about dental health from our team!
- Three out of four people do not change out their toothbrush as often as they should. It is recommended that you use a new toothbrush every two to three months and after being sick.
- There are some dentists who argue that flossing is more important than brushing! It is best to floss at least once per day.
- What is a cavity actually? Cavities are tooth decay that forms from acid that is made from the bacteria in your mouth. All food create this, but foods with carbohydrates like sugar and starches stick to your teeth easier.
- It takes your face 43 muscles to frown, but only 17 to smile!
- It has been estimated that American kids spend about half a billion dollars on gum per year!
- Do you know how long you should brush your teeth each time? It is recommended to brush 2 to 3 minutes twice per day.
- In an average mouth, there are estimated to be over 300 different species of bacteria!
- Mouthguards are highly recommended to be worn in any sport or physical activity because sports-related injuries account for approximately 5 million missing teeth! Ask us how to get one!